On Thu, Oct 27, 2011 at 6:09 AM, Nikos Chantziaras <rea...@arcor.de> wrote:
> Oh, and one other thing; hdparm is only meant to get you the continuous I/O
> transfer rate.  It's an awful benchmark for anything else, like what happens
> if a file is fragmented or how fast it can copy/write data spread around the
> disk, how good it is at combined random I/O operation, etc.

For that kind of information, go with bonnie++

I've little else to add to the thread, except that I ran three Seagate
1.5TB 'green' drives in RAID5 for quite a while with very nice
perforance results. Access times were comfy, and I tended to get about
60MB/s continuous read and write speed. I hadn't learned about
bonnie++ yet, so I don't have any good benchmarks to show on that
front.

--
:wq