On Sunday 23 Oct 2011 12:01:32 Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
> Am Samstag 22 Oktober 2011, 19:46:59 schrieb Mick:

> > > I have to agree with most everyone else on this one.  You don't really
> > > need a anit-virus software to protect yourself.  I do think it is good
> > > that you want to protect others by catching them while on your machine
> > > and then you know not to spread them around to others who can be
> > > infected.  I used to do this a long time ago but I have policies here
> > > about sending messages to others.  Mostly, I don't do it unless I know
> > > it is virus free.  If I get a video that is funny or something, I find
> > > it on youtube and just forward a link to that.  I'm sure youtube checks
> > > its stuff to be sure it is clean.
> > >
> > > If you set up a process like this, you shouldn't spread anything but
> > > you do have to think before hitting forward too.  I think people have
> > > figured out I don't forward just anything so I don't get a lot of
> > > "junk" anymore.
> > >
> > > I do agree on using AVG as someone else posted.  I have that on my
> > > brothers XP box.  He likes it better than Norton that he used to pay
> > > for.  If you can get that running on Linux, then that would be great.
> > > Another pretty good one that I used to use was f-prot but I think AVG
> > > would be better still.
> > >
> > > Dale
> >
> > Is there an overlay that offers AVG or bitdefender?
>
> looks like - but I just run the bitdefender script to extract, than used
> dpkg --force-all to install. Works well so far.
>
> You can get a free personal use licence on their web site.

I am getting confused ...

Just looked at the ebuild for app-antivirus/bitdefender-scanner-7.6.4-r1 and
it seems that the user has to fill in a form for an evaluation license only:

  http://www.bitdefender.com/site/Downloads/browseEvaluationVersion/2/80/

The free bitdefender only offers MSWindows downloads:

  http://www.bitdefender.com/solutions/free.html#System Requirements

To use bitdefender for good on a *nix it seems that you have to pay ...  :(

Have I got this wrong?
--
Regards,
Mick