>> I'll be interested in hearing how that goes. I had one weekend running
>> Ubuntu and ended up running away as fast as I could. It wasn't that it
>> was bad or didn't work, but that the management of it seemed so
>> different from any distro I'd run before that I didn't want to deal
>> with learning it. Let's see how that does for you.
>>
>> Again, remembering I didn't really give it much of a chance - I was
>> running on a Power PC Mac Mini - two things that drove me mad were:
>>
>> 1) The basic install didn't tell me what the root password was.
>>
>> 2) All the management was done using sudo.
>>
>> I couldn't get past the idea that if something went wrong that with no
>> root password what was I supposed to do? Now, I was absolutely sure at
>> the time there had to be a way to set that myself, maybe as simple as
>> sudo passwd - root or something like that, but I decided it just
>> wasn't for me and tossed the machine in the garage rather than deal
>> with it! :-)
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Mark

<SNIP>

> I don't use sudo on my rig so it sort of annoys me.  ;-)   I guess we have
> that in common.  lol
>
> The update tool is GUI.  That's why I think he can do that himself.  A lot
> like winders in a way.  Heck, if this works well and that intfs thingy gets
> on my nerves, may use it myself.  :-(   I may have found my next distro.
>  I'm not leaving yet.  I'm going to give the inity thingy a shot, maybe two.
>  After that, kill shot.
>
> Dale

I hate sudo, I never got the point in using it - and actually it is
one of the thing that makes Ubuntu annoying to me. I'm not the only
one, then! :D

Howerer, I think that Ubuntu is one of the "best" distro for beginners
(especially those coming from windows/os x), so it should work well
for your brother. Basically, it is absolutely possible to run and
update the distro without ever touching the terminal... Me, I find it
too "constraining".

In regard to Sabayon, last time I tried it, I had the impression it
was buggy, but it was three years ago... Actually, I'd like to give it
a try one of these days :)

Best regards,
Lorenzo