On Friday 11 Nov 2011 21:45:08 James wrote:
> Here is a quick description of how Redmond
> intends to taint the bios on new products:
>
> http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/linux-heavyweights-develop-secure-boot-
> strategy

This I believe is on the cards for MSWindows 8 onwards.

> So,  recently I took a live-dvd-11.2 into Costco to check out a new
> HP laptop (DV7-6178US). It would not boot the DVD. How
> can I research if the UEFI bios is the issue? In the past the
> live gentoo dvds have booted up most every (new) laptop I have tested.

I suggest you try another latest version LiveCD, e.g. Knoppix, or SysrescueCD,
or see if there is a way of getting up some boot menu that gives you the
option to select the LiveCD?

Someone who has experience with UEFI hopefully should be able to chime in here
- there's AppleMac users frequenting this list too.

> Sure I can purchase the laptop, bring it home and hack on
> it, but, it would be much more straight forward if there
> was a list of UEFI infected computers somewhere. (any lists?)

I would not (but it's your money and your time of course).

Instead I would complain to the shop - i.e. "why is this laptop boot menu not
available to the user?"  and perhaps HP themselves.  You are in the USA after
all and customer service is paramount.

> I do not want to waste my time on a laptop that has this
> MS tainted bios. Methods and ideas to flush this out, before
> purchase are most welcome? Is it possible that some windows 7
> laptops have the UEFI bios?

UEFI bios does not necessarily equal secure boot, at least not yet.

> I usually prefer a dual boot laptop, with doz and gentoo, but
> that looks like a fading option these days.....?

Let's hope not!  RHL & Canonical must be working on making sure that OEMs or
MoBo manufacturers address this anti-competitive practice from Microsoft.

--
Regards,
Mick