On Sat, 12 Nov 2011 19:40:08 +0700, Pandu Poluan wrote:

> During my drive home, something hit my brain: why not have the 'master'
> server share the distfiles dir via NFS?

No reason at all, I've been doing it for years without a single
problem.

> So, the question now becomes: what's the drawback/benefit of
> NFS-sharing vs HTTP-sharing? The scenario is back-end LAN at the
> office, thus, a trusted network by definition.

The benefit is that everything is centralised. With an HTTP proxy, you
still have to download from the server to each client. The only drawback
that I experience is that if several packages use the same, large source
file, as so many of the KDE packages do, you are repeatedly pulling the
same file over the network, which is a little slower.

--
Neil Bothwick

Keyboard: (n.) a device used by programmers to write software for a mouse
or joystick and by operators for playing games such as 'word processing.'