On Fri, Nov 11, 2011 at 08:07:43PM +0100, Florian Philipp wrote:
> To find out why portage wants the JDK, run `emerge -pv --depclean
> virtual/jdk`. Repeat until you find @world or something looking familiar.
>
> I bet you have LibreOffice installed with USE="java". There is an old
> thread from earlier this year which describes what functionality you
> loose when you deactivate that flag. All things considered, though, I
> think it will be faster to install a JDK than to re-emerge LibreOffice
> with USE="-java".

Heh, you guess wrong :p

I actually just have virtual/jdk in world (I can't remember why I
didn't use virtual/jre instead) because of some binaries-only,
non-portage stuff I run.

What caught me off-guard was the fact that the upgrade did not offer
the -bin option. (Which, as I mentioned in a different branch of this
thread, you helped me figure out "why".)

Thank you again for all the help,

Willie W. Wong                                     ww...@math.princeton.edu
         et vice versa   ~~~  I. Newton