On Nov 19, 2011 7:28 PM, "Michael Mol" <mike...@gmail.com> wrote:

----- >8 snip

> And, finally, yeah..that isn't just "not much", that's a terribly small
amount of memory. Assuming you've kept the software current, some of your
applications have certainly not been maintained with 600MB of system memory
in mind.

Indeed. With less than 800MB, gcc fails to upgrade. Always. For some
RAM-constrained systems (e.g. the VMs in my company's cloud), I even have
to do an "out-of-the-box" upgrade, i.e., upgrade an identical copy on the
physical data center, grab the binpkg tarball, and upload the tarball to
the cloud.

Rgds,