Hello!
  I decided to upgrade LibreOffice this week to the verstion 3.4.4.
  Before trying to build this package, emerge performed the pre-check
of available space on my hard disk - 9GB. I did have this amount of
free space on the drive, but I noticed that after about 8 hours of
compiling it took only ~4 GB on my HDD. First of all, I thought that it
was compiling *really* slowly and that it hadn't even made a half of
the job. However, after about a half an hour it finished with success
and I noticed that altogether it took about 4.5 GB on HDD.
  So it checked 9GB (and earlier versions of LO indeed needed almost
such amount of free space), but took only as much as 4.5 GB.

  The question is: why?

P.S. Today I tried to install LO v.3.4.4 on the machine with about 6 GB
of free space. Emerge performed its regular pre-check and refused to
build the package. I changed the
    CHECKREQS_DISK_BUILD="9G"
    CHECKREQS_DISK_BUILD="5G"
in "libreoffice-3.4.4.2-r1.ebuild" and everything went fine.

  Regards,
    Vladimir

-----
 <v...@ukr.net>