Hello Peter,

dmcrypt works perfectly without initrd as long as you do not encrypt the
root filesystem.

So for encrypted home directories, you can just create and use a LUKS
volume with dmcrypt (AFAIK the fastest and easy-to-use way).

Regarding other techniques like gpg or truecrypt, you should keep in
mind, that dmcrypt works directly in the kernelspace, so it may be a lot
faster with the same encryption strength (but it don't know any
benchmark about that).

Regards,
Felix