On Wed, Nov 30, 2011 at 3:36 PM, sean <tech.j...@myfairpoint.net> wrote:
> On 11/27/2011 04:02 PM, Mark Knecht wrote:
>

>> I have something like 10 USB drives here at home. 9 of those drives
>> works perfectly in 5 machines in the house. 1 drive works when
>> attached to 4 of the machines but produces a similar error when
>> attached to my most expensive i7-980x machine.
>>
>> I've never determined what causes it and have sort of decided it's
>> just some weird incompatibility...
>>
>> - Mark
>>

> Mark,
>
>        I swapped to a very short USB cable to connect the drives to my
> system. It cured the problem here.
>
>                        Sean

That's good news. Is that the external USB cable or something inside a
drive case?

I'd suspect something like a slightly suspect USB controller
somewhere. Changing the cable probably shifted the electrical
parameters on the cable just enough that it started working.

I should give that a try here and see if I get so lucky!

Cheers,
Mark