This question is not gentoo specific but really a more general
question about date manipulation.

Like many people I use the `date' command to set file names that need to
be unique by using one of the specially formatted commands, to output
something like:

    img_080905_103343.jpg

Which is img_$(date +"%m%d%y_%H%M%S").jpg  or mnthdayyr_hrminsec

This is used in file renaming scripts or the like.

I want to find some tool that outputs a more fine grained reading.
Maybe adding milliseconds to output so that the unique names can be
generated in less than a second.

I know about perl scipting for this but wanted something like the
`date' command that is its own dedicated program.

Is there a unix tool that outputs a finer grain of time segments?