On 12/08/2011 02:17 PM, Grant wrote:
I ran squirrelmail/configtest.php and realized I don't have an
attachment directory set up for Squirrelmail:

ERROR: Attachment dir (/var/local/squirrelmail/attach/) does not exist!

I don't even have a /var/local/.  Would a good Gentoo'er create the
directory in that location?

If a website needs to write files, let it do so under its own directory hierarchy. All of our PHP sites have something equivalent to the following in their apache vhost configs:

  php_admin_value open_basedir /var/www/example.com/www/
  php_admin_value upload_tmp_dir /var/www/example.com/www/tmp
  php_admin_value session.save_path /var/www/example.com/www/tmp

That way, if www.example.com is compromised, the rest of the machine is still safe (barring PHP bugs).