Neil Bothwick <n...@digimed.co.uk> wrote:

> You also don't have the hardware to create them. CSS keys are stored on a
> separate area of the disc, an area that is not available on DVD-Rs,
> which is why yo cannot copy a CSS-encrypted DVD with dd, it copies the
> encrypted data but not the decryption keys.

This is not really correct....

The related area is available and writable on DVD-Rs.

DVD-Rs have been introduced in September 1997. You coul only buy them with an
OK from the Pioneer boss. In February 1998, I received a sample drive for
cdrecord development that I had to bring back to the Pioneer CeBIT booth in
March....

At CeBIT-2001 a third generation of DVD-Rs was introduced. This third
generation introduced a quite different wavelength. It is sold since autumn
2001 and the media delivered for these drives is prerecorded at the place where
the CSS key is expected.

If you have good connections to a media manufacturer to get the media before
the pre-recording starts and if you have good connections to a drive
manufacturer that produces drives with special firmware for the prerecording,
you can do ;-)

Jörg

--
 EMail:jo...@schily.isdn.cs.tu-berlin.de (home) Jörg Schilling D-13353 Berlin