Am 20.12.2011 16:13, schrieb Michael Mol:
> On Tue, Dec 20, 2011 at 10:04 AM, Tanstaafl <tansta...@libertytrek.org> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I'm guessing this is a sudo question, but I'm unfamiliar with the nuances of
>> sudo (never had to use it before).
>>
>> I have a new hosted VM server that I want to allow a user to be able to edit
>> files owned by root, but without giving them the root password.
>>
>> I already did:
>>
>> /usr/sbin/visudo
>>
>> and added the following line:
>>
>> %sudoroot       ALL=(ALL) ALL
>>
>> and made sure the user is in this group, but they still get an access denied
>> error when trying to mv or cp files that are owned bu root.
>>
>> What is the best way to do this? I'd really prefer to not give them the root
>> password so they can su -...
>
> The sudo command allows commands to be executed *as though they were root*.
>
> 'sudo su -' would work. So would 'sudo mv src dst'.
>
> So, incidentally, would 'sudo passwd root'...

For file editing alone, you can allow rights to sudoedit, for example:
%sudoroot       sudoedit

This allows sudoroot members to execute `sudoedit $file` which starts an
editor (defined via environment variable EDITOR) with the file in a save
fashion (similar to visudo). But you also have to restrict the editors
because most of them are able to spawn a shell (which would then have
root rights). Restricted editors like `rnano` or `rvim` circumvent this
issue. To do this, set something like this in your sudoers file:
editor=rnano:rvim

You should probably also restrict which files can be edited (not
/etc/passwd, /etc/shadow or /etc/sudoers, for sure!). You can do this
with globs. For example:
%sudoroot       sudoedit /var/www/*

Hope this helps,
Florian Philipp