On Thu, 22 Dec 2011 14:33:47 -0500
Tanstaafl <tansta...@libertytrek.org> wrote:

> Thanks for the explanation Alan... have to do some reading/studying
> on this.
>
> Any good pointers for best practices for this kind of thing?

"Best practice" - the two most useless words in all of IT.

By definition best practice is always optimized for someone else (or
for nothing), never for you. Yes, there are guidelines about security
that are very helpful, but step 1 is always to know exactly what YOU
are trying to accomplish and what is going to work best for YOU. Your
opinion in this is everything, mine is almost irrelevant.

Best advice I can give is to read up on the various technologies
mentioned in this thread so that you have a good grasp of what they
achieve (never mind the detail, think big picture). Usually, what you
should do next then becomes quite obvious.

--
Alan McKinnnon
alan.mckin...@gmail.com