walt, Wed, 28 Dec 2011 17:01:59 -0800:

> Sometime in the last month or so (when I wasn't looking) my ~x86 and
> ~amd64 machines quit working when I try to run wireshark or tcpdump,
> etc, but I don't know exactly when or why.  (My amd64 machine still
> sniffs packets normally.)
>
> I get this same error from any packet sniffing app:
>
> Can't open netlink socket 93:Protocol not supported
>
> Strace shows that this is the failing system call:
>
> socket(PF_NETLINK, SOCK_RAW, 12) = -1 EPROTONOSUPPORT (Protocol not
> supported)
>
> That makes me think of some missing kernel config that may have been
> added or modified in recent kernels, so I tried gentoo-sources-3.0.6
> (same as my working amd64 machine) with no joy.  Same error message.
>
> Have I missed some important gentoo bulletin about networking recently?
> Anyone have working packet sniffing on ~arch?

Hi,

If I remember correctly, I needed to set
Networking support -> Networking options -> Network packet filtering
framework (Netfilter) -> Core Netfilter Configuration -> Netfilter
connection tracking support

It has been a while though, so it may be another option in the
netfilter config - just try it :)

Lubos