Mark Knecht wrote:
Hi Roman,
   No immediate need. I seem to have solved the problem, at least as a
starting point.

   My bad for not trying the ~x86 version of the nvidia driver. Once
installed I now get into Gnome, get Direct Rendering and get about
1600 FPS out of glxgears so I think things look at least OK.

   What is a reasonable glxgears FPS for an AGP 4X GeForce4 card
running on an Athlon XP 1600+?

   Anyway, I seem to be in good shape now. Thanks for writing back.

Hi,

i'm glad you solved your problem. I had a Geforce 5200 until i purchased a ATI Card 3 weeks ago. glxgears gave me ~1500fps without any special tweaking. (BUT PLS don't use glxgears for benchmarking stuff, it gives very inconsistent results i on different systems). It's better to use sth like ut2004-demo.

PS: My new ATI x800 (i know, little overkill, but after my exams...;)) gives me also 1600fps in glxgears (there are some very strange problems with the drivers on amd64).;(
But hey, gaming is, what windows was made for.