Peter Humphrey wrote:
On Friday 30 December 2011 17:18:35 Aljosha Papsch wrote:

 > On Fri, Dec 30, 2011 at 12:00:11PM -0500, Michael Mol wrote:

 > > Peter Humphrey wrote:

 > > > Power cycle complete - no difference. Switching back to kernel 3.0.6

 > > > I now have no sound there either!

 > > > Lspci shows the device ok. Output of alsa-info attached.

 > > Your ALSA stuff looks fine, by my eye. What happens when you run

 > > "alsamixer"? "alsamixer -c0"?

 > Peter, according to your amixer output 'Master Front' is set to 0%. Maybe

 > this is your problem?

Well spotted, both you and Michael. However, that's not /the/ problem.
Setting the master volume to 100% just gave me a faint hiss in the
speakers; no real sound, and no device detected by alsaconf.

I'm inclined to think you have something in your asoundrc (either system-wide or user-local) that's shunting ALSA clients over to Pulse, and that Pulse has a misconfiguration.

FWIW, alsaconf doesn't see my sound cards, either. Here's what I've got:

kaylee shortcircuit # lspci -k|grep -i -A2 audio
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 631xESB/632xESB High Definition Audio Controller (rev 09)
        Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Device 3015
        Kernel driver in use: HDA Intel
--
40:00.1 Audio device: nVidia Corporation High Definition Audio Controller (rev a1)
        Subsystem: Micro-Star International Co., Ltd. Device 2011