On Jan 6, 2012 8:44 PM, "Stroller" <strol...@stellar.eclipse.co.uk> wrote:

> On 4 January 2012, at 18:19, Tamer Higazi wrote:
> > …
> > I want to make my linux machine being a wlan access point for my other
> > components like Notebook, Cell phone etc...
>
> If you just want to temporarily share then I think "access point" is
unimportant - can't you use "ad hoc" mode?

> "Access point" means getting a wifi card which supports master mode. Not
all do.

> I question whether this is worth the bother - routers are just too cheap.
>
> If you want to do something complicated, which is not available in the
menus of your $20 wifi router, then run OpenWRT Linux on a $40 router.

> The extra cost of a recent router will quickly pay for itself in
electricity savings, over leaving your big desktop PC on when you only want
to surf the net on your netbook.

> Stroller.

I agree. But I strongly recommend going the OpenWRT route directly.

Proprietary access points, especially the ones supporting WPS, are security
threats :

http://arstechnica.com/business/news/2012/01/hands-on-hacking-wifi-protected-setup-with-reaver.ars

the WPS protocol has been broken. OpenWRT does not support WPS, so it
doesn't have the WPS vulnerability.

Rgds,