> > I tried changing the type of each array element in fdisk to fd (linux
> > raid autodetect.
> >
> > The array is still not being recognised at boot, with the same 'cannot
> > read superblock' error.
> >
> > I also tried re-running mdadm --create /dev/md0 --level=5
> > --raid-devices=3 /dev/sdb1 /dev/sdc1 /dev/sdd1
> > I get the error
> > mdadm: device /dev/sdb1 not suitable for any style of array.
> >
> > What is going on here?
>
> I am thinking ;)

LOL!

Me too.

mdadm --detail /dev/md0 thinks that /dev/sdc1 is faulty.
I'm not sure whether it's really faulty, or just that my setup for RAID
is screwed up.

How do I get rid of an existing /dev/md0?

I'm thinking that I can try creating a RAID1 array using the two
allegedly good disks and see if I can make that work.

If that works, I'll get rid of it and try recreating the RAID1 with one
good disk and the one that mdadm thinks is faulty.

Hopefully that will show me whether I have a hardware problem or a
software one.

Jeff