Hartmut Figge wrote:
Greetings,

'emerge -pv -uDN world' just showed me this:

!!! The following installed packages are masked:
- media-sound/esound-0.2.41::gentoo (masked by: package.mask)
/usr/portage/profiles/package.mask:
# Nirbheek Chauhan<nirbh...@gentoo.org>  (04 Jan 2012)
# Outdated and unused sound daemon. Why is this still in the tree?
# Removal of esd and deps in 30 days.
# In exceptional cases, you may use Pulseaudio's esound wrapper.

Now, installation of esound was necessary for my SeaMonkey to be able to
notify of new mail with a custom sound file. I do *not* want pulseaudio,
so, do you know of an replacement for esound which could work with
SeaMonkey?

Hartmut

I don't have esound enabled on my Seamonkey and it plays a sound when I get new mail. It did stop working for a while but it started working in the later part of version 1 and has worked in Seamonkey 2 from the start.

I did read some of the thread on -dev about this. I think there was only a couple packages that uses esound and I don't recall Seamonkey being one of them. Are you sure it needs esound? It doesn't show up here as a option. I'm on amd64 on my main rig and x86 on my back up. It doesn't show esound anywhere on either of them.

[ebuild R ] www-client/seamonkey-2.4.1-r1 USE="alsa chatzilla dbus ipc libnotify methodjit roaming startup-notification webm -crypt -custom-cflags -custom-optimization -debug -system-sqlite -wifi"

I do have alsa enabled tho.  Would that work for you too?

Dale

:-)  :-)

--
I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how
you interpreted my words!

Miss the compile output?  Hint:
EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--quiet-build=n"