On 8 January 2012 16:02, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckin...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 7 Jan 2012 09:45:44 -0600
> Carlos Sura <carlos.su...@googlemail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hello mates,
> >
> > I have a problem, my provider does not want to set rDNS to my IP's
> > since I have 5 IP's rotating for my server, I don't know why. So he
> > told me I can do this manually.
> >
> > So I've added this as a master zone:
> > $ttl 38400
> > 80.236.109.in-addr.arpa. IN SOA dominio.dominio.com.
> > abuse.dominio.com. (notice that last digits are miss)
> > 1325905990
> > 10800
> > 3600
> > 604800
> > 38400 )
> > 80.236.109.in-addr.arpa. IN NS dominio.dominio.com.
> > xx.xx.xxx.xxx.in-addr.arpa. IN PTR dominio.com.
> > xx.xx.xxx.xxx.in-addr.arpa. IN PTR mail.dominio.com.
> > xx.xx.xxx.xxx.in-addr.arpa. IN PTR ns1.dominio.com.
> > xx.xx.xxx.xxx.in-addr.arpa. IN PTR dominio.com.
> > xx.xx.xxx.xxx.in-addr.arpa. IN PTR mail.dominio.com.
> > xx.xx.xxx.xxx.in-addr.arpa. IN PTR ns2.dominio.com.
> > xx.xx.xxx.xxx.in-addr.arpa. IN PTR dominio.com.
> > xx.xx.xxx.xxx.in-addr.arpa. IN PTR mail.dominio.com.
> > xx.xx.xxx.xxx.in-addr.arpa. IN PTR dominio.com.
> > xx.xx.xxx.xxx.in-addr.arpa. IN PTR mail.dominio.com.
> > xx.xx.xxx.xxx.in-addr.arpa. IN PTR dominio.com.
> > xx.xx.xxx.xxx.in-addr.arpa. IN PTR mail.dominio.com.
> >

> > But it does not reflect any change in any machine, just in the local
> > machine I get the answer, when I try in any other machine, it still
> > showing me the rDNS of my provider.
>

> The reason is quite simple and most sane ISPs will do it that way.
>
> rDNS is NOT your A records in reverse, and you have no right of access
> to the zone.
>
> in-addr.arpa serves an entirely different purpose, it documents the
> layout of the ISPs address space. Your 5 IPs have not been delegated to
> you and you do not own them per whois, they still belong to your ISP and
> are merely recorded in the ISP record as assigned for your use.
>
> Therefore the ISP will use their own documentation standards to
> determine what is in the rDNS zone.
>
> Additionally, delegating out a /29 is a gigantic pain in the arse and
> leads to an unmaintainable mess in very short order (so says the poor
> sucker that's had to fix it...). At work we never sub-delegate out rDNS
> to customers; but we do do it for downstream re-sellers as they are
> ISPs in the in own right.
>
> So your ISP is quite correct in what they are saying. However, I would
> like to see a clarification of what your support contact means when he
> says "do it manually" - that doesn't make any sense
>
> --
> Alan McKinnon

Hello Alan McKinnon,

Thank you for your answer, I get you now you explained everything I needed
to know. About my ISP, they changed it for me, since I was sending a lot of
ticket support to them, because they have a poor support, I understand they
don't manage and help me with a lot of things, basically I don't need them,
the only thing I was asking for is to set the rDNS for me, hopefully they
did, cause I told them, that I really don't understand what they mean by
"do it by myself" and I was reading all BIND ebook to understad how
delegation works.

Regards

--
Carlos Sura.-