With the basic install of gentoo 2.6.12-r9 behind me (forget splash - it's
not worth the headaches right now, and I need more research to find a good
backup solution), I read through the gentoo security doc.  There's a world
of stuff here!
I have a laptop that I'm intending to use for web development (the geek
side) and also for business tasks (the end user side).
I'm wondering how much / how little of the security measures mentioned in
the gentoo security doc I really need?
Or, should I move on to the desktop environment first, and then come back
and tighten down the system?

Thanks for the input - as always, greatly appreciated.

John D