120128 Sergei Trofimovich wrote:
>> Is there an alternative which doesn't require eg 'kdelibs' or similar ?
>> In my netbook, Xpdf is the only method I have of reading PDFs,
>> as I use Fluxbox & don't have KDE installed at all.
> It should not stop you from trying okular (kdelibs based)

Well no ! -- I don't want to have any KDE in my netbook :
I use a lot of KDE apps on my desktop, incl Okular, but not in the netbook.

> and evince (libgnome based). They are really neat.
> For lightweight variants you might like to look
> at app-text/epdfview and app-text/gsview.

Thanks for this & other comments + advice.

I've installed Evince Epdfview Zathura.  Evince looks as usable as Xpdf
& Epdfview is also simple & effective; Zathura works, but relies largely
on keys (ok) & the index toggles, which is not quite as usable.
Epdfview has the advantage over Evince that it needs no deps,
so that's what I may use in my netbook.

I also noticed a note in my homemade list of installed pkgs
that I had to patch Xpdf to avoid the slow-start problem,
so I'm satisfied that it cb consigned to history.

SUPPORT     ___________//___,   Philip Webb
ELECTRIC   /] [] [] [] [] []|   Cities Centre, University of Toronto
TRANSIT    `-O----------O---'   purslowatchassdotutorontodotca