On Sat, 28 Jan 2012 21:36:26 -0500
"Walter Dnes" <waltd...@waltdnes.org> wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 28, 2012 at 03:53:11PM -0600, ??Q?? wrote
> > On Sat, 28 Jan 2012 15:35:46 -0500
> > "Walter Dnes" <waltd...@waltdnes.org> wrote:
> >
> > > On Sat, Jan 28, 2012 at 11:08:12AM +0100, Florian Philipp wrote

> >         ^^
> > -no-remote
> > ^
>
>   I did notice that, and tried it both ways.  No difference.
>
> > Do you get the same error if you try
> >
> > $ /usr/bin/firefox -P default -new-window "http://www.gentoo.org";
> >
> > without using urlview?
>
>   Yes and No!  I've solved the problem, but this is weird; really
> really weird.  Let me explain.  I use ICEWM window manager.  For the
> firefox launchbar command I have always used...
>
> /usr/bin/firefox -width 950 -height 1050 -P default -no-remote
>
> and manually opened new windows with {CTRL-N}.  Urlview was always
> able to lauch a new window.  But now if one firefox window is opened
> with "-no-remote", I can *NOT* programatically open any more new
> Firefox windows.
>
> *EVEN IF I USE "-new-window" TO OPEN ADDITIONAL WINDOWS*.  Only the
> manual {CTRL-N} command works.

You never should have been able to.  -no-remote was always supposed to
prevent that instance of a Mozilla app from listening to signals from
"remote" things like xterms or urlview.  The mystery here is how you
were able to do it before!

-no-remote has always been discouraged by the Mozilla folks.  It's
there so that devs can handle multiple Firefoxen (and Seamonkeys, &c.)
with multiple profiles without one clobbering another's profile.  (A
properly locked Firefox profile was what got you the "running but not
responding" message you were getting.)

>   After some trial and error, I changed ICEWM's launchbar command to
>
> /usr/bin/firefox -width 950 -height 1050 -P default -new-window
>
> Now I can open new windows all over the place with Urlview and your
> commandline example.  Problem solved.  ***ALWAYS USE "new-window"***.
> Can you pop open 2 xterms and try the following?  The first pair
> should work...
>
> in xterm 1 ==> /usr/bin/firefox -new-window "http://www.gentoo.org";
> in xterm 2 ==> /usr/bin/firefox -new-window "http://www.cnn.com";
>
>   Now close both Firefox windows and try...
>
> in xterm 1 ==> /usr/bin/firefox -no-remote "http://www.gentoo.org";
> in xterm 2 ==> /usr/bin/firefox -new-window "http://www.cnn.com";
>
>   The first firefox opens, but the second one fails.

You should get the same results if you drop the -new-window arguments.
-new-window and -new-tab just override Firefox's setting for how you
want new pages opened.

As long as you only have one Firefox profile, you can do away with the
-P default argument.  If there's a Firefox already running, it's
ignored anyway.