120129 Mike Frysinger wrote:
> On Sunday 29 January 2012 00:01:50 Philip Webb wrote:
>> Below is the output from 'localepurge' after this week's system update.
>> Please don't drop it till 'should' does = 'does'.
> the vast majority of that output comes from like 3 or 4 packages.

All of it comes from  6  packages which I recently installed/updated :
 evince gdk-pix-buf rekonq xkeyboard-config gnome-doc-utils sane-backends
The total rubbish cleaned out for these  6  was  > 9 MB .
The last  3  belong to major projects -- X Gnome Sane -- ,
which suggests that other pkgs they manage may suffer the same defect.

> file bugs if you want things to actually get fixed.

No, that's not the way it should be handled.
Filing bugs --  6  of them in this case -- is no guarantee of attention even,
let alone action to fix the problem.  Moreover, if it's fixable by Gentoo,
the dev involved should do it as a matter of course without needing a bug.

There is a perfectly effective script which cleans up the mess
& the only problem with it seems to be temporary lack of a maintainer,
who is not essential anyway if there's nothing which needs fixing
& should not be difficult to replace with a simple request for a volunteer.

Please leave 'localepurge' where it is.

SUPPORT     ___________//___,   Philip Webb
ELECTRIC   /] [] [] [] [] []|   Cities Centre, University of Toronto
TRANSIT    `-O----------O---'   purslowatchassdotutorontodotca