On 2012-02-05 12:47 PM, Canek Peláez Valdés <can...@gmail.com> wrote:
On Sun, Feb 5, 2012 at 11:34 AM, Tanstaafl<tansta...@libertytrek.org>  wrote:
For the next time you need to find a kernel option:

1. go to /usr/src/linux
2. make menuconfig
3. press "/" (this activates search)
4. enter the config option you are looking
5. press Enter
<snip>
As you can see, it's an option at the top of the kernel menu config.

Yep, many thanks to you (and Volker) for pointing out how to search for terms...

Reboot, if your network works, everything is fine. If it's not, remove
the file /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules (don't worry, it's
autogenerated), and reboot. If the problem persists, just check that
the names in that file correspond to the services in /etc/init.d. For
example, mine says

# PCI device 0x10ec:0x8136 (r8169)
SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", DRIVERS=="?*",
ATTR{address}=="40:61:86:4e:a6:57", ATTR{dev_id}=="0x0",
ATTR{type}=="1", KERNEL=="eth*", NAME="eth0"

So (if I used OpenRC) I would need to check that /etc/init.d/net.eth0
it's a symlink to /etc/init.d/net.lo.

Ok, this makes sense, thanks!

****************************

Next issue/question (from post install log):

****************************

WARN: postinst

If you build an initramfs including udev, then please
make sure that the /sbin/udevadm binary gets included,
and your scripts changed to use it,as it replaces the
old helper apps udevinfo, udevtrigger, ...

mount options for directory /dev are no longer
set in /etc/udev/udev.conf, but in /etc/fstab
as for other directories.

If you use /dev/md/*, /dev/loop/* or /dev/rd/*,
then please migrate over to using the device names
/dev/md*, /dev/loop* and /dev/ram*.
The devfs-compat rules have been removed.
For reference see Bug #269359.

Rules for /dev/hd* devices have been removed
Please migrate to libata.

How do I know if I need to worry about any of this stuff? I'm a bit lost
here...

Do you use an initramfs? Look at /boot/grub/grub.conf, is there a line
starting with "initrd"? If not, worry not.

Ok, I apparently don't, but... are you saying that all of the stuff that follows the initramfs warning *all* pertains to using an initramfs?

If so, many thanks again, I'll have to make a note of this in my maintenance manual...

:)