On Mon, 2012-02-06 at 21:59 -0500, Jeff Horelick wrote:
> On 6 February 2012 21:42, walt <w41...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > I tried and liked google chrome for a few months until I got tired
> > of the multi-hour compile every week or so.  The chrome-binary ebuild
> > was removed a while ago, I'm guessing because of library version
> > conflicts, but I dunno for sure.

> you seem to have missed a very simple way to do all this:
>
> emerge google-chrome

Very interesting, thanks for pointing that out.  What I missed is that
in recent months the former (home-compiled) chrome package was removed
and the chrome-binary package was renamed to google-chrome (I suppose
the google brand was supposed to clue me in that I'm installing the
google build rather than the gentoo build).

However, the newer google-chrome package forces the downgrade of libpng
to libpng12 for the entire machine, which I don't want, so I'll continue
to use my simple home-brew method.

Now that Pandu has mentioned it, I can edit the google-chrome ebuild to
do what I want :)  The part where I install the obsolete libpng12 in
the /opt/google/chrome directory instead of /usr/lib is the part I'm
not sure about.