Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwa...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2012-02-13, Michael Orlitzky <mich...@orlitzky.com> wrote:
> > On 02/13/12 05:49, Helmut Jarausch wrote:
> >>
> >> I've written a small Python program which outputs the file names in
> >> i-node order. If this is fed into tar or cpio nearly no seeks are
> >> required during copying.
> >
> > What makes you think the inodes are sequential on-disk?
>
> Even if the i-nodes are sequential on-disk, there's no reason to think
> that the data blocks associated with the inodes are in any particular
> order with respect to the i-nodes themselves.

Correct, there is however a really fast method using "star -copy".

This works because there are two decoupled processes, shared memory between
them and the fact that star reads names from directories in one big chunk.

Jörg

--
 EMail:jo...@schily.isdn.cs.tu-berlin.de (home) Jörg Schilling D-13353 Berlin
       j...@cs.tu-berlin.de                (uni)