On Thu, 23 Feb 2012 11:24:17 +0000
Neil Bothwick <n...@digimed.co.uk> wrote:

> On Thu, 23 Feb 2012 13:16:01 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
>
> > Historically, when an update to portage came available, portage
> > would put it at the head of the list, build it first, then re-run
> > emerge world command.
> >
> > I've seen lately that this no longer happens, portage updates are
> > any old place in the list just like all other packages.
> >
> > I'm wondering why this change happened, or if I somehow unknowingly
> > set an option to disable the old behaviour )I'd liek it back).
>
> It's not just you, although it doesn't appear to be that random.
> Generally the portage update comes at or near the end of the list
> here.
>
> At least you get the rest of the world update done before a broken new
> portage renders it unusable :-/

:-)

I prefer to update portage first, just in case it co-coincides with some
update to the tree <pedantic old fart mode ON>

I'm not worried about broken portage commits, I have
FEATURES="buildsyspkg" enabled so as long as I have a working tar I'm
good to go with any fix.

--
Alan McKinnnon
alan.mckin...@gmail.com