On Thu, Mar 1, 2012 at 10:36 PM,  <meino.cra...@gmx.de> wrote:
> Canek Peláez Valdés <can...@gmail.com> [12-03-02 05:32]:
>> On Thu, Mar 1, 2012 at 10:22 PM,  <meino.cra...@gmx.de> wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > I want to load snd-seq since the /dev/snd/seq device comes up with the
>> > wrong permission, if this modules is not loaded. The result is a
>> > defunct qjackctrl.
>> >
>> > I entered
>> >
>> >    snd-seq
>> >
>> > into
>> >
>> >    /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-3.2
>> >
>> > and it does *not* autoload.
>> >
>> > I am running
>> >
>> >    Linux 3.2.9
>> >
>> > (vanilla kernel).
>> >
>> > What do have to do additionally to acchieve what I had intended?
>> >
>> > Thank you very much in advance for any help!
>>
>> Probably not the answer you are looking for but, why do you not
>> compile the module directly into the kernel?
>>
>> Regards.
>> --
>> Canek Peláez Valdés
>> Posgrado en Ciencia e Ingeniería de la Computación
>> Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México
>>

> I heard -- not only in this list -- that loading modules, that
> supports hardware, is better than integration the according
> modules into the kernel.

Really? Can't recall that comment on this list. It is certainly more
work the first time you install a machine (you need to know your
hardware), but in the long run it's easier for a lot of reasons, IMHO.

I've been running my kernels with everything I need included since
ages; laptop with Intel video card, desktop with NVidia (thanks
nouveau!), and every server I run. I use the nvidia binary module in
my media center, and sometimes I install VMware or VirtualBox, and
then I have a couple of modules hanging out. But usually lsmod returns
nothing in my machines.

In particular, all my ALSA drivers are included in my kernel, and they
never give me trouble.

But of course, none of this answers your original question. Good luck with that.

Regards.
--
Canek Peláez Valdés
Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México