[snip]
>> I enabled some more kernel options under USB Network Adapters and it's
>> working now.  The install is about done but there were a few
>> peculiarities:
>>
>> 1. fdisk won't let me specify a start block before 2048 even though I
>> deleted all partitions.
>>

> That's normal. It's a long story, but Windows Vista and Windows 7 expects
> the first partition to start at sector 2048.
>
> You can force a lower number by toggling "DOS compatibility"; this should
> let you start the first partition as low as sector 63.
>
> HOWEVER, make sure that all partitions begin at multiples of 8 (e.g., 64,
> 72, 80, and so on); this will save you a lot of grief if it happens that the
> hard disk you're using has 4KiB-sectors. [1]

Got it, I'll just stick with 2048.

>> 2. grub-install reported something like:
>>
>> fd0
>> hd0
>> hd1
>>
>> where hd1 was the USB key.  Should I fix this to remove the USB key from
>> grub?
>>

> I see no problem. The lower number is still the internal hard disk, so grub
> shouldn't have any trouble booting.

Sounds good.

>> 3. Portage complains about duplicate repositories.  I think it has to
>> do with the fact that I ran emerge --sync without downloading and
>> extracting an initial snapshot.
>>

> Try 'rm -rf /usr/portage', download (or copy) portage-latest tarball, and
> extract it into a re-created /usr/portage

I tried that but I get the same message:

"WARNING: One of more repositories have been ignored due to duplicate
profiles/repo_name entires:

/, gentoo, /usr/local/portage overrides
/usr/portage

All profiles/repo_name entries must be unique in order to avoid having
duplicates ignored.  Set PORTAGE_REPO_DUPLICATE_WARN="0" in
/etc/make.conf if you would like to disable this warning."

- Grant