http://hothardware.com/Articles/WDs-1TB-Caviar-Green-w-Advanced-Format-Windows-XP-Users-Pay-Attention/?page=2

> [*] I don't want to sound like I'm advertising for Seagate here, but at
> least it seems that with SmartAlign the performance impact will be
> much less, so it might not be worth the trouble of re-partitioning drives
> that are already being used.
>
>        Wonko

The problem with SmartAlign is that..*.* it's magic... once you run out of
mana, you can kiss your data goodbye.

In other words, I tried to find how it works, but Seagate seems to be mum;
and that is ungood. Without knowing how exactly the technology works, how
can we be sure that it won't blow up when encountering edge/corner cases?

So, albeit nice (in the sense that one does not have to experience the
headache in ensuring that partitions are properly aligned), I personally
will stay away from magical things.

Rgds,