Ben Munat wrote:

> Assaf Urieli wrote:

>>> Are you trying to run emerge as a user? It can only be run as root
>>> ('command not found' often indicates that, assuming that the
>>> application
>>> is installed, which in this case we know it is. The command cannot be
>>> found in the user's $PATH-- because and so that the user cannot use
>>> it--
>>> but in root's $PATH).
>>
>> Nope, I tried to create a user, but the adduser command couldn't be
>> found either. Neither can the find and whereis commands.
>
> Apologies if this is completely obvious, but you did say "newbie"... :-)
>
> After you "select Gentoo Linux 2.6.12-r6" do you see a lengthy boot
> process or do you get a command line instantly?
>
> It occured to me that you could somehow be getting to the grub command
> line, which has about a dozen commands... definitely no "emerge",
> "adduser", etc.

Please don't apologise and do point out anything you think could be
useful! I am a complete newbie to the whole Linux world - been trying to
get this install working afterhours for over a week now.

To answer your question, there is a lengthy boot process after selecting
the OS. It seems to be doing what it's supposed to (apart from a couple
of warnings).
What's more, other things I emerged while working chrooted from the
install CD are available & working (e.g. dhcpcd).

Is there anything (config file, directory listing, ???) I could post
here to help the troubleshooting?

- Assaf