On Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 09:24:32AM +0000, Alan Mackenzie wrote

> Help would be appreciated.

  Sorry, mdev is not for you, it looks like udev is a mandatory
dependancy for lvm2.  I tried "emerge -pv lvm2" and it came back with...

waltdnes@d530 ~ $ emerge -pv lvm2

Calculating dependencies... done!

!!! All ebuilds that could satisfy ">=sys-fs/udev-151-r4" have been masked.
!!! One of the following masked packages is required to complete your request:
- sys-fs/udev-9999::gentoo (masked by: package.mask, missing keyword)
/etc/portage/package.mask:

  I'll update my instructions to mention this.  Thanks for your help.
Even a negative result, i.e. knowing what doesn't work, is one more
piece of information in my quest.

--
Walter Dnes <waltd...@waltdnes.org>