On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 1:31 AM, Pandu Poluan <pa...@poluan.info> wrote:

> On Mar 13, 2012 2:19 PM, "Alan McKinnon" <alan.mckin...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> > I quite often read about this, and after some thinking, I have to
>> > ask: why?
>> >

>> I've also thought about this and I also want to ask why?
>>
>> I stopped using a separate /usr on my workstations a long time ago when
>> I realized it was pointless. The days of 5M hard disks when the entire
>> OS didn't fit on one are long gone. The days of my software going tits
>> up at the drop of a hat requiring a minimal repair environment to fix
>> it at boot are also long gone (my desk is littered with LiveCDs and
>> bootable flash drives).
>>
>> So I can't find a single good reason why /usr *must* be separate and my
>> workstations are the only machines that will ever have hotplug booting
>> issues.
>>
>> I'm even considering changing the install standards for the company
>> servers to dispense with separate /usr, as long as there are safeguards
>> against clowns who don't read INSTALL files and happily
>> accept /usr/local/<package>/var as a storage area.
>>

> I just did some more thinking, and *maybe* the reason is to prevent
> something under /usr (src and share comes to mind) from growing too big and
> messes up the root filesystem.
>
> Place the offenders on a separate partition, then mount them under /usr, and
> all should be well...

The always used example is to have /usr shared as a read only NFS
partition among several workstations. In corporate environments it is
certainly used this way (or at least it was when I worked, and the way
I used it in my office seven or eight years ago).

Of course, for a normal desktop user, a separate /usr is basically useless.

Regards.
--
Canek Peláez Valdés
Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México