On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 12:20 AM, William Kenworthy <bi...@iinet.net.au> wrote:
> On Wed, 2012-03-14 at 11:49 +0800, William Kenworthy wrote:
>> On Wed, 2012-03-14 at 11:13 +0800, William Kenworthy wrote:
>> > I am trying to get my system(s) ready for the new (read crappy) way
>> > mandated by udev and am having some issues.
>> >
>> > I usually manually compile my kernels, use tuxonice  and dont use an
>> > initrd/initramfs.
>> >
>> > As ToI is not available for the latest kernels, I updated openrc and
>> > installed genkernel but then found I couldnt use in-kernel suspend to
>> > disk - googling implies that genkernel doesnt support suspend/hibernate
>> > but there are various kludges to get it to work.
>> >
>> > So whats the least invasive, but workable kludge?
>> >
>> > hibernate, pmhibernate, swsuspend, uswsuspend, ...
>> >
>> > Are there any (up to date) docs?
>> >

>> > BillK
>> >

>> According to the docs I have found you need to patch genkernel to
>> run /sbin/resume - it was a longstanding argument between two now
>> retired devs with the result that genkernel wont (ever) support
>> hibernation.  I dont know from reading the bugs if it was ever fixed now
>> the dev who "wouldnt" has retired, or is genkernel is still broken.
>>
>> Also, I have no /sbin/resume on any of my systems (some are years old
>> and have been successfully running ToI for most of that time) - so how
>> can the initramfs actually start resumimg?
>>
>> Though I have a more immediate problem - hangs on hibernation and no log
>> messages.
>>
>> BillK
>>

> Well, patching genkernel worked so its still broken as regards
> suspend/resume - so I can now suspend/resume still with some errors.
>
> Next problem is that there are error messages implying /usr might not be
> mounted by the initramfs (some /usr files not found) ... is there
> anything else that needs doing?  Once the system is up /usr and all
> other directories are correctly mounted (most are on LVM).

Did you run genkernel with --lvm? Sorry, I don't use genkernel, but
dracut has several options to include arbitrary files on the
initramfs. I'm sure genkernel has something similar; why don't you try
to add the /usr missing files in the initramfs?

Good luck.

--
Canek Peláez Valdés
Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México