From: Pandu Poluan [mailto:pa...@poluan.info]
Sent: Wednesday, March 14, 2012 12:13 PM

> BUT, in the same message, it is stated that Xorg *can* be compiled to *not*
> try to communicate with udev.
> I suspect a similar situation with Gnome.

IIRC, GNOME only needs udev for auto-mount support. gvfs has a udev flag,
disabling that might eliminate the need there. KDE has similar udev flags for
things like pulseaudio.

For GNOME, I suspect swapping udev for mdev may be tricky, since GNOME uses a
custom-build library (libudev) for all of its communications. If libudev can be
tricked into listening  to mdev instead, and isn't communicating in a way that
mdev doesn't support, then GNOME should "just work".

--Mike