I have not tried it since they removed the HAL dependency, but I believe you
just need to compile xorg with USE=-udev and put the correct device
information into the xorg.conf file.

What X uses udev for is to enumeration your devices when it starts, and
associate those devices automatically with the right drivers. From what
Pandu has said, X cannot be made to poll mdev for the information it needs
because the conversion is "backwards" from mdev's perspective: instead of
mdev sending new-device events out to listening userspace applications, X is
expecting to initiate a query into the device manager, which mdev cannot do.

However, if you configure that all manually then X has no more need of a
device manager, udev or otherwise.

--Mike