try 'dhcpcd_eth0="-dRNDt 5"'

ntp will refuse to sync if it sees too much drift/too much time
difference between itself and the upstream.  Its not overly verbose in
telling you this however.

add "tinker panic 0" as the first line to each ntp.conf (inc your
server)

Its also a good idea to add a default fallback server to each ntp.conf
(inc the server)

"fudge 127.127.1.0 stratum 7"
"server 127.127.1.0"

10 is a good fallback stratum as an unlocked clock is 16, but due to
local config issues (I think) I set mine to 7 - now I cant remember why
so have to go investigate it ... dont forget to document why you do
things!

BillK