Howdy,

This is sort of weird.  I upgraded my kernel to gentoo's 3.2.9.  When I
rebooted, I noticed some odd issues with permissions.  When I try to log
into Konsole or some other root access program, I get something like this:

The program 'su' could not be found.
Ensure your PATH is set correctly.

or

Permission denied.
Possibly incorrect password, please try again.
On some systems, you need to be in a special group (often: wheel) to use
this program.

This is also really odd permissions:

-rws--x--x  1 root root   36680 Mar 16 23:36 su
-rws--x--x  1 root root   52416 Mar 16 23:19 umount
-rws--x--x  1 root root   42592 Mar 16 23:36 passwd

There are a few others but you get the idea of my problem here.
Somehow, the permissions seem to be off a bit.  I have re-emerged the
packages that own these files, no change.  I have googled but only found
old issues with this.

I have not changed or even touched fstab in a good long while.  I have
not added or changed permissions regarding my user either.  It seems
some update has caused this but if re-emerging the package doesn't fix
it, then what?  I am in the wheel group.  I'm also in the tty group.

I rebooted to my previous kernel, thought maybe it was a config issue or
something, no change.  This was working a few days ago.

Also, when I am in a console, I can log in as a user but can't su - to
root.  I can log in as root directly tho tho.  So switching from user to
root using su is out even in console.

I have a new unbooted install on a separate drive, it has the same odd
permissions on it.

Anyone else seeing this?  Any ideas on how to fix it?

Thanks.

Dale

:-)  :-)

how you interpreted my words!