On 03/19/2012 08:15 AM, Michael Mol wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 19, 2012 at 10:56 AM, walt <w41...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I just had a bit of a scare after updating to udev-181, but
>> all is well now, finally.  (I hope :)
>>
>> In addition to the separate /usr problem that has already
>> been discussed at length here, there are other important
>> changes in udev-181 to be aware of.
>>
>> First, I had to add two new items to my kernel config:
>> CONFIG_DEV_TMPFS (which I thought I'd had for years but didn't)
>> and CONFIG_TMPFS_POSIX_ACL.  I also elected to make the devfs
>> automounting, but I don't think that was really necessary.
>>
>> Second, don't forget like I did to update the udev initscripts
>> with etc-update or your machine won't be able to find the udev
>> files in their new locations (just like mine didn't) and none
>> of your kernel modules will auto-load, either.
>>
>> Oh, and of course you need to pre-mount /usr before udev starts
>> if you have a separate /usr partition -- but you already knew
>> that ;)
>
> Is there an ENOTICE warning in the ebuild to hit people over the head
> with these?
>
> Also, how trivial would it be to have the ebuild check the running
> kernel config (if available under /proc or wherever) for the necessary
> config options?

Yes, I found out about the added kernel config items from the ENOTICE,
but I wanted to point out that it needs to be done *before* you reboot
or you'll be in trouble. Even better if you do it before you update
udevd, I'd say.

If the warning to run etc-update appeared, I missed it :( which I
usually don't.