> yoyo

Thanks for your response. I did some research(ppp documentation is
OLD!) and saved a bunch of likely files across the partition from
ubuntu, and rebooted into gentoo.

Just for the heck of it I made myself root right from the boot console
and ran pon <isp> without touching anything else, and boom! I was
connected. The only difference from last time was that I ran pon right
from the boot console instead of what I usually do, namely running
startx, opening a terminal making myself root etc. I cannot fathom how
that would make a difference. Can anybody out there in gentoo-world?
Didn't even have to rmmod the wifi and ethx drivers.

MW