On Sun, Mar 18 2012, Allan Gottlieb wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 18 2012, Alan McKinnon wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 18 Mar 2012 13:14:48 -0700
>> Allan Gottlieb <gottl...@nyu.edu> wrote:
>>
>>> I will update to the new world order, but would very much prefer to
>>> postpone that for a few weeks.  Is it enough to put

>>> in /etc/portage/package.mask  ?
>>
>>>=sys-fs/udev-181
>>
>> would be better. Rather mask the first version that causes issues and
>> all subsequent versions. With your suggestions, there may be
>> future updates between 171 and 181 (without initrd issues) that you
>> want, but you can't use them as you masked them.
>
> Done, thanks.  Thank you volker as well.
>
> allan

I am now unable to update world

    Total: 26 packages (20 upgrades, 3 new, 1 in new slot, 2 reinstalls, 1
uninstall), Size of downloads: 604,681 kB
    Conflict: 3 blocks

    The following keyword changes are necessary to proceed:
    #required by sys-auth/consolekit-0.4.5-r3[acl], required by
net-misc/networkmanager-0.9.2.0-r5, required by
net-im/empathy-3.2.2[networkmanager], required by
gnome-base/gnome-core-apps-3.2.1, required by gnome-base/gnome-3.2.1, required
by @selected, required by @world (argument)
    =sys-fs/udev-9999 **

    The following mask changes are necessary to proceed:
    #required by sys-auth/consolekit-0.4.5-r3[acl], required by
net-misc/networkmanager-0.9.2.0-r5, required by
net-im/empathy-3.2.2[networkmanager], required by
gnome-base/gnome-core-apps-3.2.1, required by gnome-base/gnome-3.2.1, required
by @selected, required by @world (argument)
    # /etc/portage/package.mask:
    =sys-fs/udev-9999

This does not surprise me.

I still would like to wait until the semester is over before trying
dracut as I assume there is a significant chance of an unbootable
system.  I could just do nothing now and, in late May, try dracut, unmask
udev, and update world.  If the world update is very hard after the long
wait.  I could reinstall.

I was wondering if the following alternate procedure is safe.  The hope
would be to have few enough packages not updated so that when I do try
dracut and unmask udev, an update world will eventually succeed.

1. Try emerge update world

2. Note a few of the packages that would have been updated,
   say A, B, and C

3. emerge -1 --ask  A B C
   If no problems are reported, say yes to the --ask

4. Repeat

thanks,
allan