On Tue, 27 Mar 2012 17:31:06 -0500
Dale <rdalek1...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Alan McKinnon wrote:
> > On Tue, 27 Mar 2012 16:59:30 -0500
> > Dale <rdalek1...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> My plan was to put / on ext4, /boot on ext2 and everything else on
> >> LVM. That would incluse /usr, /usr/portage, /var and /home.  I have
> >> not done that yet because doing it would force me to make a choice
> >> very soon since this mess is coming pretty soon.
> >
> > That's easy to fix. It takes a while and it's mind-numbingly boring,
> > but it's easy.
> >
> > All you need is a decent amount of free disk space as you will
> > shuffle things around just like in that 15 pieces game.
> >
> > Assuming / is the first (or second) partition on a disk:
> >
> > Measure how much data is on the file system.
> > Measure how much data is on the /usr file system.
> > Move partitions after / on the disk out of the way creating enough
> > free space to contain current / and /usr.
> > Enlarge / partition, enlarge the file system on it, copy contents
> > of /usr there.
> > Arrange the rest of your disk the way you want it (either with or
> > without LVM, both are easy enough to do).
> > Move the rest of your data back to it's final destination.
> > Delete any last remnants of the old /usr partition.
> >
> > And all your worries about initramfs will go away. Trust me (no, not
> > because I sell used cars, but because I do this for a living and
> > have done it several times)
> >

> Right now, I doubt my current / partition can hold all the /usr stuff.
> It would require a complete undoing then redoing, like you just laid
> out.  I have done this before but I would like to only have to do it
> once and be done.  That is why I want to use LVM for everything but /
> but if I could get this to work right, I wouldn't mind having / on LVM
> too.

/ on LVM isn't all that useful, simply because it's size doesn't change
much and there's no real need to grow it. It's not like /var.

Binary distros put LVm on / not because it's a good idea but because
they like to have consistency. You don't need that because you know
what you built and it doesn't need to be supported by a corporate
employee far away.

You are worrying yourself needlessly about this init thing.

Just take some small measures to ensure that it will never be a factor.

--
Alan McKinnnon
alan.mckin...@gmail.com