Hi, Neil.

On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 03:56:36PM +0100, Neil Bothwick wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Mar 2012 14:01:32 +0000, Alan Mackenzie wrote:

> > > Read my other mail and pay attention to the difference between
> > > transient and persistent.

> > In my proposed solution, the executables in /sbin would only exist until
> > /usr had been mounted and the runtime PATH set up.  After the
> > unification of /usr, /sbin won't even exist (apart from in schemes like
> > mine).

> What happens to files that are installed to /bin, /sbin or /lib by
> default?

Aren't they getting shoved into /usr?  I thought that was the whole point
of the excercise.

> Where do kernel modules go?

I hadn't actually thought of that - I've never built a kernel with
modules enabled.  Where do kernel modules go?  Won't they be going into
/usr somewhere?

Incidentally, dracut says it won't work on a kernel without modules.  I
don't know if it's true or not.

> > I look forward with foreboding to the time when such recovery will not
> > be possible.  Only a legacy Gentoo system or a recovery CD will help
> > then. I think it highly probable that "can't boot" bugs will continue
> > to happen occasionally.  I'd like to carry on having a bootable
> > skeleton system for when this happens.

> When an initramfs fails to boot, it drops you to a busybox shell, ...

You know, that cheers me up a lot.

> ...although I also have a SystemRescueCD ISO in /boot for such
> situations.

I suppose I could do with that, too.  And I should learn how to use it.

> --
> Neil Bothwick

> Top Oxymorons Number 12: Plastic glasses

I wear spectacular glasses.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).