On Thu, Apr 12, 2012 at 3:06 AM, Helmut Jarausch
<jarau...@igpm.rwth-aachen.de> wrote:
> What's the difference (in performance) between fglrx and xf86-video-ati ?

My experience with my first and only ATI video card (a Mobility Radeon
9700), is that the opensource drivers for my chipset are basically
useless for anything 3D. Slow, corrupt graphics, freezing the
computer. The ati-drivers/fglrx was several times faster and much more
stable.

Unfortunately, ATI removed support for my card from their drivers in
2009, leaving me no choice but to use the OSS driver unless I want to
downgrade my system to use kernel 2.6.28 or earlier.