On Friday 13 April 2012 18.44:37 fe...@crowfix.com wrote:
> 1.  Configure the next kernel with the necessary initramfs flags, then
>     have two grub entries for the same kernel: one with the initramfs
>     and one without.  Initially I will make the initramfs do something
>     innocuous, and leave /usr as a separate /etc/fstab entry mounted
>     in the old fashioned way.
>
> 2.  Make sure boot works the old fashioned way, without initramfs.
>
> 3.  Make sure boot works the new fangled way, with initramfs.
>
> 4.  Create some temporary lvm partition and make sure the new fangled
>     initramfs mounts it during boot without an /etc/fstab entry.
>
> 5.  Remove /usr from /etc/fstab and put it in the initramfs, and make
>     sure that boot works.
>
> 6.  Merge udev-181 and whatever else is needed.
>
> 7.  Cross my fingers, sacrifice a virtual goat, and try a reboot.
>
> Somewhere between 6 and 7 is the worst part; no simple way to revert
> and retry.  Everything up til then should require no more than a
> simple /etc/fstab edit.
>
> Is there any way to add more steps between 6 and 7 to allow more
> reversability?
>
> Have I left out any steps, between 6 and 7 or anywhere else?

I have done also something like this.
I still have /usr in fstab (with the noauto option) just for reference.
The only thing (that I have noticed yet) is that the /etc/init.d/lvm fails due
to the fact that LVM is already started (in initramfs).

--
Dan Johansson, <http://www.dmj.nu>
This message is printed on 100% recycled electrons!