On Thu, Aug 25, 2005 at 09:55:32AM +1200, Nick Rout wrote:
> On Wed, August 24, 2005 11:14 pm, Fernando Canizo said:
> The sed part transforms from a list all on one line with spaces separating
> to a list one per line, ie:
>
> url1 url2 url3

> url1
> url2
> url3
>
> Trouble is this gives a list with many alternatives for each url
> (depending on the number of mirrors shown in the ebuild.
>
> You then need a script to download each url ONLY if one of the earlier
> url's for the same file hasn't worked.

I don't think you do... I think "wget -c" will only download if the
size doesn't match. And if you trust your internet connection enough,
you can use "wget -nc", which only downloads if a file of the same
name does not exist (but doesn't check for length/size).

Though, seeing that the internet connection is on a separate machine,
maybe the OP would like to have integrity checking while downloading
(so he won't run into "D'oh, the MD5 sum doesn't match" problem). And
with my poor "skillz" in programming, I'd rather install portage on
Debian then to hack a replacement to download and check the md5 for
the packages.

"Now it is such a bizarrely improbable coincidence that
anything so mindboggingly useful could have evolved purely
by chance that some thinkers have chosen to see it as the
final and clinching proof of the non-existence of God.
"The argument goes something like this: `I refuse to prove
that I exist,' says God, `for proof denies faith, and
without faith I am nothing.'
"`But,' says Man, `The Babel fish is a dead giveaway, isn't
it? It could not have evolved by chance. It proves you
exist, and so therefore, by your own arguments, you don't.
QED.'
Sortir en Pantoufles: up 13 days,  2:42