First off, this has probably been discussed before, but I can't find it
on google.  I've spent the last several hours searching for the answer
to this and I can't find it.

I recently switched from a gentoo-sources-2.6.30-r8 kernel to a
gentoo-sources-3.2.1-r2 kernel.  A lot of my processes were freezing up
with a DL+ ps status and I read somewhere that uninterruptible sleep was
suspected to be the fault of the kernel.  I had 3.2.1-r2 source sitting
on my hard drive and I tried building it on my wife's computer and was
very happy with the results I saw there.  Her computer couldn't even run
emerge without going into state D+.  After booting with the 3.2.1-r2
kernel I had no problems running an emerge -uD world on it.  So far I am
very happy with 3.2.1-r2 on my PC except for one thing:  xv doesn't seem
to work anymore.   On my old kernel, and indeed every kernel I've run on
this computer since 2005 xv has worked.  I haven't changed any hardware
in this computer recently or ever.  When I run mplayer I see this in the
output:

[VO_XV] It seems there is no Xvideo support for your video card available.
[VO_XV] Run 'xvinfo' to verify its Xv support and read
[VO_XV] DOCS/HTML/en/video.html#xv!
[VO_XV] See 'mplayer -vo help' for other (non-xv) video out drivers.
[VO_XV] Try -vo x11.
Error opening/initializing the selected video_out (-vo) device.

I kept reading about xvinfo included in XFree86 distribution.  I use
xorg-x11.  I found out that xvinfo can be emerged.  I did so and it said
this:

X-Video Extension version 2.2
screen #0
 no adaptors present

which shouldn't be right because I've been using xv with mplayer for
years.  I assumed then that it was a module problem somewhere.  I hadn't
run a qlist -I -C x11-drivers/ recently so I did and remerged all the
packages there.

My video card info from lspci -v:

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82915G/GV/910GL
Integrated Graphics Controller (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
        Subsystem: Intel Corporation Device 5647
        Memory at ffa00000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=512K]
        I/O ports at ec00 [size=8]
        Memory at c0000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=256M]
        Memory at ffa80000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=256K]
        Expansion ROM at <unassigned> [disabled]
        Capabilities: [d0] Power Management version 2
        Kernel modules: i915

I can successfully modprobe the i915 module.  Everything that can be is
built with the xv USE flag on.  Is there anything else I
need to do to get my xv to work with mplayer?